City of Monash
Following a community survey, the City of Monash recognised the need for additional car parking in Oakleigh, therefore proposed to extend an existing ground floor car park to create an additional 195 car parking spaces in Atkinson Street.
The new three-level community car park car park includes:
- A total of 274 car parking spaces;
- An electronic car counting system at the entries to the car park, indicating available spaces;
- A vehicle ramp to the upper levels;
- Solar cells on the rooftop level to power internal lighting;
- Lifts and stairwells;
- Artwork on the concrete columns and a number of internal walls to deter graffiti and vandalism; and
- Landscaping and footpaths.
The building is set back from the main road and is structured with in-situ concrete, precast and structural steel, to address resident concerns about noise, overlooking and car headlight glare; whilst the façade is clad in a combination of timber battens, aluminium purlins, chain mesh, and curtain walling to both lift shafts.