Clare Hopkins Clarke
July 2015 – Oct 2016
Ireland Brown Constructions was engaged as the head contractor to carry out the construction of the new Performing Arts Centre at Loyola College located at 325 Grimshaw Road, Watsonia.
The new Performing Arts Center consists of a 500 seat auditorium theatre, back of house areas, dressing and control rooms, foyers, dance studio, music practice rooms and administration areas. External works included roadways, car parking, landscaping and associated site works.
The building has been designed to incorporate many architectural finishes including acoustic panelling, feature metalwork, glazed brickwork, bluestone paving, curtain walling and timber panelling. The most technical elements of the project involved the extensive services and acoustic requirements to enable the required functionality of the building.
The design features included:
- High performance building fabric to reduce the demand on active systems.
- Passive solar design.
- Mature trees to allow natural screening and shading to the west and deciduous trees in the forecourt that will provide shading in summer and allow the sun to penetrate the building in winter.
- Effective thermal mass with the use of concrete slabs and cavity brick walls.
- Consideration of occupants thermal comfort with the use of sustainable materials and low VOC products.
- Rainwater harvesting with 6 new tanks as well as existing tanks on site to serve landscape irrigation.
- Permeable paving to reduce stormwater run off.
- Provision of good levels of natural lighting and external views.
- Extensive operable windows to provide natural ventilation.
- Reduction in car parking, thus encouraging the use of public transport.